International Offset Projects
In our mix of forestry based carbon offsets, Treecreds has also carefully selected to support projects overseas that are designed to avoid deforestation and preserve local wildlife and biodiversity, particularly the South American Amazon Forest. Here we provide details on the international projects included in our current portfolio.
Madre De Dios – Amazon Redd Project
Location: Peruvian Amazon
Scope: 100,000 hectares of rainforest in the Peruvian Amazon (400 km from the historic sanctuary of Machu Picchu)
Certification: Verified carbon Standard (VCS) and Climate Community and Biodiversity Standard (CCB)
The Madre de Dios Amazon REDD Project consists of 100,000 hectares of rainforest, located in the Peruvian Amazon, only 400 km from the historic sanctuary of Machu Picchu, the “Lost City of the Incas”. The area is located less than 30 km to the side of the new inter-oceanic road that has recently united Brazil with the Peruvian ports.
It’s important to note that this project is within the region that belongs to the Ecological Corridor Vilcabamba-Amboró, one of the world’s greatest biodiversity hotspots.
Video credit: Greenoxx.com
This project will dramatically reduce deforestation in the Peruvian Amazon and protect the habitat of endangered species and the livelihood of local indigenous communities who rely on the forest for their survival.
The Peruvian Amazon is in great danger of deforestation especially after the construction of the transoceanic road that goes through this rainforest. Current resources fail to adequately control the Peruvian Amazon and protect it from transient farmers and illegal loggers attracted by the great value and accessibility of endangered rainforest trees.
The Madre de Dios Amazon REDD Project will dramatically reduce deforestation by increasing surveillance in the rainforest.
Break down of investment distribution:
- 22 % of the funds are destined to social plans
- 25 % of the funds are destined to preserve the Amazonian biodiversity
- 36 % of the funds are destined to surveillance and monitoring of the project area
- 17 % of the funds are destined to investigation and international certifications
Example of Investment:
- 100 Carbon Credits (i.e.VCUs + CCB Gold Carbon Credits)
Direct benefits of Investment:
- Equivalent to 100 tonnes of CO2 sequestered from the atmosphere
- 1.61 hectares of Amazon rainforest that will be preserved and not deforested
- 4.74 protected tropical trees in danger of extinction
Learn more about the project here:
Greenoxx Global Environmental Program is an organisation dedicated to combat Climate Change, through REDD Projects in the Amazonian Rainforest, within the voluntary markets of emission reduction.
All images on this page are supplied by Greenoxx.com.
Australian offset projects
We also support a range of offset projects locally in Australia, including South Australia and Tasmania, which you can learn more about on our website.
- Explore our portfolio of Australian forestry offset projects that we’re currently supporting.